Chicken & Lentil Curried Soup
225g chicken breast
1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 peppers, any colour, chopped into 1.5cm chunks
2 tbsp mild or medium curry powder
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 chicken stock cube
1 litre water
100g dried red split lentils
sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C and place a chicken breast on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onions and peppers for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the curry powder and cook for a few seconds more.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Crumble over the stock cube and add the water.
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly and add them to the pan, bringing it to a simmer. Season well with sea salt and lots of black pepper. Cook for 10- 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Slice the cooked chicken and add it to the pan alongside the spinach for 8-10 minutes, until the lentils are soft and the spinach has wilted.
- Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over.