Starting on a journey towards healthier eating doesn’t have to mean sacrificing flavour or satisfaction, especially when it comes to delightful dishes like our Mild Chicken and Vegetable Curry.
Packed with wholesome ingredients and bursting with aromatic spices, this vibrant curry tantalises the taste buds and offers a wealth of nutritional benefits tailored for individuals over 40 who are on a quest to lose weight and reduce the health risks associated with aging.
From lean chicken breast to an array of colourful vegetables and a medley of exotic spices, each ingredient in this curry brings its own unique contribution to both flavour and well-being.
Let’s dive in!
- Calories: Approximately 350-400 per serving (depending on serving size and specific ingredients used)
- Protein: Provides a good source of lean protein from the chicken breast.
- Healthy Fats: The coconut milk and coconut oil contribute healthy fats, which can support heart health and provide satiety.
- Carbohydrates: Mainly from the vegetables, with a moderate amount from the coconut milk and butternut squash. The inclusion of cauliflower rice instead of traditional rice reduces overall carb content and increases fibre intake.
- Fibre: Provides a good amount of dietary fibre, especially from the vegetables, which supports digestive health and helps with weight management by promoting satiety.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, and manganese from ingredients like carrots, broccoli, butternut squash, and basil.
- Chicken Breast: Lean source of protein which supports muscle health and helps with weight management by increasing satiety. It’s also rich in essential amino acids necessary for various bodily functions.
- Coconut Milk and Coconut Oil: Provides medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which can boost metabolism and aid in weight loss. Additionally, coconut products contain lauric acid, known for its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Ginger and Garlic: Both are known for their anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties. They also aid in digestion and can help alleviate gastrointestinal discomfort.
- Vegetables (Carrots, Broccoli, Butternut Squash): Rich in fibre, vitamins, and minerals, these vegetables support overall health and provide essential nutrients for optimal functioning of the body. They also contribute to a feeling of fullness due to their high fibre content, which can aid in weight management.
- Turmeric: Contains curcumin, a potent anti-inflammatory compound with antioxidant properties. Turmeric may help reduce inflammation, support joint health, and contribute to overall well-being.
- Cinnamon: Helps regulate blood sugar levels and may improve insulin sensitivity, which can be beneficial for weight management and reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Basil: Contains essential oils with antibacterial properties and is a good source of vitamin K, which supports bone health and blood clotting.
By incorporating these nutritious ingredients into your Mild Chicken and Vegetable Curry recipe, you’re not only creating a delicious and satisfying meal but also providing your body with essential nutrients to support overall health, weight management, and reduce the health risks associated with aging.
Mild Chicken & Vegetable Curry
- 1 tin full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp ginger minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 large broccoli chopped into florets
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 chicken breasts chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 butternut squash chopped into small chunks
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt to taste
- Cauliflower rice to serve
- 1 lime cut into wedges to serve
- Large handful fresh basil chopped for serving
- Pour 1/4 of the coconut milk into a large saucepan and heat to medium. Add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots and broccoli and cover. Cook until the vegetables have softened but are still al dente, about 3 minutes.
- Heat the coconut oil in a separate frying pan over a medium heat and add the chicken and onion. Brown the chicken until a great deal of liquid comes out, about 5 minutes. Strain the liquid from the chicken and onion, then add them to the pan with the vegetables.
- Add the rest of the coconut milk, the squash, coconut, turmeric and cinnamon to the pan with the vegetables and chicken. Stir well and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook 15 minutes, uncover and continue cooking another 8-10 minutes, until the curry has thickened and chicken is cooked through.
- Add sea salt if required.
- Serve with cauliflower rice and garnish with lime wedges and basil.
Nutrition information for recipes is calculated by retrieving and compiling individual food data from the USDA database. Factors such as brand selection, size of produce, and preparation can change nutrition information in any recipe. We offer this information as an estimate only.