Moroccan Chickpea Stew
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
3 celery sticks, finely sliced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2cm fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 litre vegetable stock
2 tins chopped tomatoes
2 tins chickpeas, rinsed and drained
150g green lentils, rinsed
Large handful flat leaf parsley
Sea salt and black pepper
Lemon wedges to serve
Cauliflower rice, to serve (see below)
- Put the oil into a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrot, pepper and chilli and cook for 6-8 minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, all the dried spices and the tomato puree and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously, until fragrant.
- Add the stock, chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and lentils and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, stirring frequently, for 30-35 minutes until the lentils are tender and the stew has thickened a little.
- Stir in most of the parsley and season to taste.
- Serve scattered with the remaining parsley, a wedge of lemon and a portion of cauliflower rice.